Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Poll Results

Thanks to everyone that participated in the poll "What do you like least about starting a new project?"

I have people say to me that it's always hard for them to pick out the fabrics. That they usually buy kits from shops because they can't pick them out. So, when the end results came in "cutting the fabric" I was surprised.

Thinking outside of our comfort zone regarding colors and or fabrics is always hard. Knowing that we only have 6 colors to choose from should make it easier. However, if people don't know that brown is really Yellow and that pink isn't a color group, but only red with white added to it, no one will ever use them in quilts. Knowing that if you have yellow in your quilt - purple should be present as well because they compliment each other is another.

Sorry, got off track there...........here's a trick for cutting fabric. I never cut a whole quilt at one time. When you first get a pattern and (I'm so glad this wasn't the answer given most) have read all the instructions, choose the fabrics most likely to be the ones - cut enough for one block and sew it together. Testing the pattern first should be #1 - Making sure the colors/fabrics you've chosen are the ones #2. Building on a color scheme is always fun. Running out of fabrics and having to choose ones that go with what you've already chosen will make it special.

Precutting ALL the fabrics and then changing your mind is not only time consuming, but you can end up with a ton of cut fabric with no where to go. How many bins of scraps do you have in your sewing rooms? (I really do think they breed at night!)

And, lastly - after a day of choosing, cutting, sewing I think a glass of wine should be your reward. Start sewing the next day! Please share your ideas of cutting fabrics....everyone can learn from each other.

Until next time...........

5 comments:

Gail said...

I somehow missed the poll! I have the hardest time picking out the fabrics....I'm hampered by fear of "the ugly quilt".
Thanks for the tips on color choice!
Regards from Gail in Washington State

sandyb said...

I feel the same as Gail, its so expensive to purchase fabric, you don't want to ruin it with a bad idea...Thanks so much for your wonderful blog full of good advice and observatons...look forward to seeing more since I have just discovered your sites...

WoolenSails said...

Guess I missed the poll too. I tend to use what I have and only buy when I need a main color for a quilt. When I shop for fabrics, I buy from the sale rack or I treat myself to colors and patterns that I love, knowing they will go into a a quilt. I always cut as I go and then lay out the blocks to see how I like it, then I can always change things up or around.

Debbie

Unknown said...

Here's a couple tips about fabric choices since we all use the same colors. It's always the value of the colors that make a difference.

When I buy fabrics here's what I look for: The scale of the print, check, plaid, etc. If we use all the same scale,meaning the same size, from a distance everything is going to look solid. I always like to have different textures in my quilts,some prints - large and small,some plaids again some larger, some smaller, some checks,
some stripes used the short way......not length wise.

Having different scaled fabrics in your quilt you'll see some of it very plain from a distance...then when you walk up to the quilt you see something different.

When you shop for fabric, unroll the bolt a couple feet and lay it across the top of the other bolts....step back and look at it from a distance. If you can see the design it's a good thing.

One thing I don't use is white in my quilts. If you want a quilt to look older, eliminate the white. Use light yellow (creams/tans or a lighter version of the colors you are using...for instance..if you have red in your quilt, you could use light pinks or creams with pink in them. Or, you could use the complimentary color - a light green or creams with green in them)

I also try not to buy fabrics that have white in them. Black, even though it's a not a color, but adds depth and dimension to your quilts, is one of the hardest to purchase. They mostly have white in them. If they do, I don't buy them.

Pat said...

Your comment was helpful Lynda. Thank you. I too don't like picking the fabrics. Now I will think about this when I shop again. Soon I hope.