Saturday, August 27, 2011

A name that fits......

So, what do you do when you make a quilt and don't have a name for it?  A couple of ideas have come to mind, but then thought if I told you about the quilt and the story, perhaps you could help me with a name!???  If you have the name that's picked, I'll send you a free pattern and put your name in the pattern as having named it.  However,
if I choose to go with the name I have already.........everyone's name will go into a bucket and a free pattern will be sent to the name drawn.

First let me tell you what the quilt is like.....Picture this in your mind -
8 Stars, 8 Nine Patches.  Sashing between 4 large blocks with post blocks.  Surrounded by different colored squares on the outside.   All 6 colors were used, but the focal color is dark yellow(brown)/orange - or sienna.

And, here's the story -
My mom's oldest brother, Lorne, was the first one to leave the farm to go into the city to work.  He was the first one to have a car in the family.  It was a roadster with a rumble seat.  He'd come home on the weekends and the 3 youngest children, my mom, uncle Morgan and Uncle Bob couldn't wait to be taken for a ride.    Only two could sit in the rumble seat so they would hurry to see who would get to or who had to sit in the front with uncle Lorne.   He always had what they called "coppers" to share with the kids so that they would have something for the offering at church on Sunday.  (Coppers were large pennies). 

Let me know what you think........you can submit as many names as you'd like.  Please send them in by September 3rd.  Thanks bunches!  Lynda



32 comments:

Cathy said...

Definetly, "Coppers". Love the story. Hugs

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Meant to preview and by accident published before I should have.
"A Star is Lorne" - I know - a bit weird but that was the first thing that came to mind. Love the story though. Blessings!

Cheryl said...

"Sunday Coppers"

Linda, NE Iowa said...

Lorne's Coppers is my submission.

WoolenSails said...

I was thinking pennies from heaven, but that is taken, lol.

Lorne's Sunday Stars

Debbie

marie said...

Sienna Copper. Great story.

Nancy in MT said...

Lynda, would love to see the quilt to come up with name, but Sienna is what I thought of when you described the colors.
Nancy

Shakerwood said...

"Rumble Seat". Sorry, the first thing that popped in there! When I think of rumble seat, I think of the rich chestnut color of the leather that was used back then. Same line of colors that you described! It has nothing to do with stars other than you could look up at the sky and gaze at the stars in a rumble seat!

Anna said...

Rumbling Stars or Lorne's Rumbling Stars. the story brought tears to my eyes...memories...must be hormonal today!

Laura said...

What about "Copper Road Star"?

Copper for the coins

"Road" for the "roads" they "rode" on

Star for the stars in the quilt, and what young man doesn't feel like a star driving his car or in the adoring eyes of his younger siblings?

and "Road Star" as a play on Roadster?

Laura

Laura said...

I should have mentioned that any quilt I make with sashing becomes "roads" for my 4-year-old's little race cars!

Julee said...

Good story! How about 'Copper Pennies' or '8 days a Week'

Anonymous said...

Lovely story...how about Sienna Stars ?

paulette said...

How about Lorne Star...like in Lone Star...get it...?
Paulette

Robyn of Robyns Nest said...

Rumblen' Seat Stars. The quilt sounds lovely

Judy Knorr said...

I like "Waiting for the Rumble Seat" or just "Rumble Seat"

Katherine said...

"Coppers and Rumblers"
"Copper Road Rally"

What a fun memory story to attach to a quilt! Can't wait to see it finished.

Beth said...

"Homecoming Offerings"

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandi said...

Lorne's Copper Rumble Star.

Dorothy said...

Sunset Harmony.
Would that fit?

Denise said...

Great story Lynda.
Remembering the Coppers is my submission.

Carol C said...

I love the sweet story and the quilt sounds beautiful.
How about
"Uncle Lorne's Coppers" or "Uncle Lorne's Copper Rumble"

Alicia said...

What a wonderful story and memory that you have. The quilt sounds awesome and a great way to perserve the memories of your family.

I was thinking of something to define the color of the coppers and fabric such as:

1). Copper Penny Memories
2). Burnished Pennies

Or for the rumble seat:

1). Lorne's Patchy Stars
2). Rumbling Home

I can not wait to see what name you choose.

Blessings,
Alicia
aliciacoupon@gmail.com

Diana H. said...

How 'bout "Roadstar Rumbling With Lorne"?

deb-bee said...

How about, "Lorne's Copper Offerings" ??? or "Taking Turns in the Rumbleseat" ???

Nothing is greater that an old family story. Thanks for sharing.

bee-hugs, Debby

Unknown said...

Wow, look at all the names! AND, there are more on facebook. I'm going to have a really hard time choosing! Looks like there might have to be more than one winner here......Deadline is coming up. I'll let you know. Thanks so much for helping me out.

Anonymous said...

"Copper Sundays" was what came to my mind after reading the story but noticed there is something similar.

Charlotte S.

CA

Mary said...

My Uncle's Pennies
Penny Memories
Uncle's Lorne's Roadster Rides
Rumbling Roadster
Home From the City
Copper Memories
Can't wait to see the pattern...sounds pretty.

dd said...

"brother in mind"
delphine