Thursday, November 1, 2012

Back from Market

A week away then a long drive (10+ hours) back home; a day to wash clothes, catch up with orders, repack, and off I was to market.  4:15 a.m. came very early Thursday morning  after not getting much sleep, but we made it to the airport in time for me to head to Houston by way of Atlanta.  (You know I live in Florida) Seems silly to me, but then I don't fly the plane.  (Thank goodness for that!)

The city of high rises, here's a picture of downtown from the 19th floor of the Hyatt..




Brenda Mercado (Pumpkin Patch Primitives)  was on the same flight out of Atlanta, so we met at the luggage pickup, caught the airport shuttle to the airport and had a great visit over a wonderful lunch in an underground area downtown.  Found out about that from a Valet guy out front.

Maggie Bononami of Simply Butternut and I roomed together so caught up later with her when her flight arrived.  We took the hotel shuttle to the George R. Brown convention center to pick up our badges and check out the setting up of all the vendors.  I must say, not having to do that this time made me giggle the whole time I was there.  (grin)  Everyone's booths looked great!

Back to the hotel we met up with a couple of gals from Australia.  Guess who has pictures of all of us?  They do and I don't have any to share...so if said ladies see this post, please share the pictures!   We had a delightful time chatting with them in the lobby that evening.  They've been shop owners for 25 years and this is their first time to quilt market. 

Friday morning was the start of why I was in Houston this time.  It's the first time I've ever done a schoolhouse.  I was there to talk about my new book "Deck the Halls"
The room was quite full of shop owners coming to market to see what it was all about.
I believe you will see pictures on the pickledish.com website in the days to come.

Picture taken in the Kansas City Star booth

After schoolhouse was over I was able to walk through the convention center catching up with people I've met over the years.  It's so much fun to see everyone there!  Lots of new people this market too, and I was able to finally get to meet some of the gals I've met through facebook. 

Friday evening Maggie and I went out to dinner with the gals from Blackberry Primitives.  These are the gals I get a lot of my wool from.  We had a delightful time at the Spaghetti Warehouse.
                                          Tonja, Maggie, Cindy and me

Saturday was also a fun day......I did a book signing in Moda's booth at 11:00
It was fun getting to meet people that like what you do. My friend Rosemary Watson was in that line.....she's always been a bestest friend!  So good to see you Rose!

Next, I did a Checker's University video for shop owners.  I hope you will tell your local quilt shops about this wonderful opportunity to see products demonstrated by designers so they can teach classes in their shops of the items you really want to make.  My video was about a new pattern.........The Penny Pouch. 


This all of couse seemed to be like a whirlwind of activity for me.......then it was time to go home.  Right after the video session I caught the airport shuttle to the airport.  It was a sit and wait situation of which I don't do well.  8 hours later I was in the Orlando Airport waiting on luggage.  It was around midnight when we arrived home.  I must say, "There's no place like home"!

Wish I had more pictures to share, but it's hard to take pictures and talk at the same time....(grin!)

Until next time,

Hugs, Lynda

2 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Market sounds like so much fun and wonderful to meet up with fellow quilters and share the experience with them.

Debbie

The Wooden Acorn said...

I absolutely adore all of your wonderful designs. It looks like you had a great time, but getting ready for all had to be overwhelming. Thanks for sharing your talents with all of us.