Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mr. Hootie





Have I told you about our resident Mr. Hootie?  He's a screech owl that has adopted us.
We first found him in our maple tree..Actually, there were two.  Not sure if they were siblings or mates, but one flew away and the other stayed.   According to what I've read about them, they are territorial, so perhaps the other one is close by.   The girls and I named him/her Mr. Hootie.  He's now living in our garage.   Pa built him his own nesting box today so he has a place to live as long as he wants - the last two pictures are of him.  Yesterday, we went to an Owl Festival here in Apopka where we live.  It was so much fun to see the other owls that have been rescued...They probably won't ever leave this facility, but they are well loved and taken care of.
The first two pictures are of a great horned owl...next is the barn owl...the one on the left with huge eyes and the last one, before Mr. Hootie, is the Bard owl.  We also saw red tailed hawks, bald eagles (we see these birds flying over our house all the time)  and swallow-tailed kites.  It was a very fun day.

Sorry to be late........but will post the winner of the " what makes something primitive" later this evening and I will post the winner tomorrow. 

9 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What fun to have owls nesting in your yard. I heard one a few times, so I know we have one in the area.

Debbie

Kathleen said...

That's so cool that you were adopted by Mr. Hootie!! He's beautiful!

Colleen said...

Mr. Hootie is amazing. Wish I could see him in person.
I have purchased a couple of your patterns recently. Usually I dont use patterns but loved yours, very inspirational. I have just completed my Folk Art Sampler, original design with the help of your Mocking Birds borders and also a basket of flowers patterns, can not remember the name. Your work is wonderful, I wanted to do a primitive quilt but my love for folk art won out. I love the more brilliant colors. Never before have I done scrappy blocks but I did enjoy it.
You can see my pics on my blog-

http://colleensquiltingjourneytooz.blogspot.com

Thank you for designing such inspirational patterns!
Colleen

SewCalGal said...

I enjoyed hearing about Mr. Hootie. What a delightful experience. Maybe someay Mr. Hootie will be able to live in nature and find his true soul mate.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Carol said...

You have so darn much fun living in the country!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

That is soooo neat Lynda. I cant believe he went in there.

Anonymous said...

OMG...mom loves owls so I've just got to forward her your link!! This is wonderful to have owls nesting at your place!

Taryn said...

Lucky you to have a friend who's an owl. I have some local squirrels I'd like to introduce him to.

Beeshebags said...

Oh how cool, I love owls, and to have one residing at my house would be brilliant. Mr Hootie looks nice and comfortable in the garage. Hugs Naomi